Dr. Umashanker practices in our Hamden and Milford offices. She is affiliated with Bridgeport Hospital-Milford Campus and Yale-New Haven Hospital St. Raphael campus.
Dr. Umashanker was born in India and raised in New York City. She attended Hunter College in New York City, where she received B.A. degrees in Chemistry and Psychology. She then received her M.D. from the State University of New York at the Health Science Center in Brooklyn. After that, she completed her Internal Medicine Residency and Fellowship in Gastroenterology at the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School.
Dr. Umashanker joined PACT Gastroenterology Center, a part of Hartford Healthcare Medical Group, formerly known as GCC, in 1998 and served as the Chief of Gastroenterology at Milford Hospital from 2003 to 2004. Her special interests include Colorectal Cancer Management, Women's issues in Gastroenterology, Hepatitis C and other liver diseases, and general Gastrointestinal diseases.
- State University of New York at the Health Science Center in Brooklyn, 1992, M.D.
- Hunter College, 1988, B.A., chemistry and psychology
- Board certified in gastroenterology, 2008
- Board certified in internal medicine, 1996
Post Graduate Training
- Hepatology fellowship, 1998, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Harvard Medical School
- Gastroenterology fellowship, 1997, University of Vermont
- Internal medicine internship and residency, 1995, Robert Wood Johnson Medical Center
- American College of Gastroenterology
- American Gastroenterological Association
- American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy
- American Medical Association
- American Liver Foundation
- Celiac disease
- Colorectal cancer screening*
- Crohn's disease and colitis
- Eosinophilic esophagitis
- Hemorrhoidal disease*
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Liver disorders (including hepatitis)*
- Pancreatic diseases
- Reflux / Barrett's esophagus / gastroesophageal reflux disease
- Small bowel diseases
- Women's health*
- *special interests