Dr. Balsamo practices in our Guilford, and West Haven offices. He is affiliated with Milford Hospital, Yale-New Haven Hospital’s York Street campus and Yale-New Haven Hospital Saint Raphael campus.
Dr. Joseph Balsamo attended medical school at Universidad Del Noreste School of Medicine. He did his residency training at SUNY Downstate Medical Center - Kings County Hospital in Brooklyn. He practiced emergency medicine in New York and Connecticut prior to joining the West Haven Medical Group as a practicing internist. He was past section chief of internal medicine at the Hospital of Saint Raphael. Dr. Balsamo is board certified in internal medicine and has privileges at Milford Hospital and Yale-New Haven Hospital. He has a special interest in continuity of care, including palliative care. Dr. Balsamo was proud to be instrumental in Xavier University School of Medicine in Aruba being given the highest possible accreditation rating from two World Health organization recognized agencies. He remains active in teaching clinical medicine for Quinnipiac University students.
Awards & Accolades
2021 “Best Family Doctor Winner”
New Haven Register Reader’s Poll
- Universidad Del Noreste School of Medicine, 1985, M.D.
- State University of New York College at Buffalo, 1980, B.A., biology
- Board certified in internal medicine, 1989
Post Graduate Training
- Internal medicine residency, 1989, SUNY Downstate University - Kings County Hospital
- Fifth Pathway year, 1986, New York University at Booth Memorial Medical Center