Dr. Varela practices in our Hamden and Milford offices. He is affiliated with Bridgepost Hospital-Milford Campus and Yale-New Haven Hospital St. Raphael Campus.
Dr. Varela is a native of Puerto Rico who attended Harvard University for his undergraduate training, graduating Cum Laude with a Bachelor of Arts Degree in Biology and a language citation in French. He then moved to Manhattan where received his Medical Doctorate from Weill Cornell Medical College of Cornell University. From there, he remained in New York, completing his internship and residency in Internal Medicine at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai. Following his residency, Dr. Varela joined the Montefiore Medical Center at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine in New York where he completed his fellowship in Gastroenterology and Hepatology.
Dr. Varela joined PACT Gastroenterology Center, a part of Hartford Healthcare Medical Group, formerly known as GCC, in 2017 and his special interests include functional disorders (such as constipation, gastroparesis, and irritable bowel syndrome), liver diseases (such as hepatitis B and hepatitis C), anorectal disorders (such as anal fissures and internal hemorrhoids) and reflux disease.
- Weill Cornell Medical College, 2011, M.D.
- Harvard University, 2006, B.A., Biology
- American Board of Internal Medicine Certification in Gastroenterology, 2017
- Diplomat of the American Board of Internal Medicine, 2014
Post Graduate Training
- Gastroenterology Fellowship, Chief Fellow, 2017, Montefiore Medical Center
- Internal Medicine Residency, 2014, Mount Sinai Hospital
- American Gastroenterological Association
- American College of Gastroenterology