Dr. Varela practices in our Hamden and Milford offices. He is affiliated with Milford Hospital and Yale-New Haven Hospital’s York Street Campus and Yale-New Haven Hospital Saint Raphael Campus.
Dr. Varela is a native of Puerto Rico who attended Harvard University for his undergraduate training, graduating cum laude with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Biology and a language citation in French. He then moved to Manhattan where received his Medical Doctorate from Weill Cornell Medical College of Cornell University. From there, he remained in New York, completing his internship and residency in Internal Medicine at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai. Following his residency, Dr. Varela joined the Montefiore Medical Center at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine in New York where he completed his fellowship in Gastroenterology and Hepatology.
Dr. Varela joined GCC in 2017 and his special interests include disorders of the small bowel, liver and biliary tract diseases, acid related diseases of the stomach, infections of the small and large bowel, ischemic diseases of the gut and inflammatory bowel disease.
- Weill Cornell Medical College, 2011, M.D.
- Harvard University, 2006, B.A., Biology
- Diplomat of the American Board of Internal Medicine, 2014
Post Graduate Training
- Gastroenterology Fellowship, 2017, Montefiore Medical Center
- Internal Medicine Residency, 2014, Mount Sinai Hospital
- American Gastroenterological Association
- American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy
- New York Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy